"Your first breath took ours away"

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What's in a Name?

I feel the need to explain my choice in blog names.  Some may get it but just in case...

My life right now is ALL about my son, as if that was hard to see.  I had become somewhat OCD about the cleanliness of our place.  It drives me nuts to have a messy home.   This has been a source of many arguments between Mike and me.  He isn't dirty but he is messy. 

Since Weston, however, I have really let things go.  It still really bothers me but I am able to block it out better.  The reason I have let things go is because I would much rather play with Weston or just snuggle with him throughout the day.  In my opinion, Weston will only be this little for a short time.  He will never remember that stack of mail sitting on the dining room table but he will remember having fun with his mom, or at least I hope he will remember.

There is a poem that I saw once that has really stuck with me:

I hope that my child, looking back on today
Will remember a mother who had time to play;
Because children grow up while you're not looking,
There are years ahead for cleaning and cooking.
So, quiet now cobwebs, dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep. 


A longer version that I really love is:

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

- Ruth Hulbert Hamilton


I don't want to look back at this time and regret anything.  I will get back my clean house one day but for now we will deal with dust bunnies in exchange for baby giggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment