"Your first breath took ours away"

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Happy 4 monthday to my baby boy!

I truly cannot believe how fast he is growing.  I swear he learns something new every day.  He now likes to stick his tongue out.  See?
He can sit on his own for a few seconds:


He blows raspberries and knows how to pout:


He can push himself up to a standing position when he has something behind him:
He can even stand while holding on to stuff:
Oh and he enjoys playing with his feet and, ahem, other things while having a bath:

He still prefers to snuggle with his mama and is not all that into independent play.  He has truly brought so much joy to my life and I can't begin to describe the swell of emotions that comes over me at various points throughout the day.  It is unbelievable that you can love someone so much after only knowing him for 4 short months. 

I am excited to watch him grow and learn but am a little sad that it is all going so fast.

Wow, if I am this emotional over 4 months, watch out for his 1st birthday ... I'm giving you fair warning!

I am currently reading the Baby-Led Weaning (BLW) book in preparation for solids.  His pediatrician said we could start him on rice cereal but everything I was reading said it wasn't necessary until 6 months.  He is thriving on breast milk alone right now so why mess with that?  I also agree with the thoughts behind BLW.  It makes sense really.  I wouldn't want to be force-fed food that I don't get to see first.  I like to be in control of what goes into my mouth.  Also, the idea is that babies learn to chew food and are less likely to choke.  Another plus is that they feed themselves which frees mom and dad up to enjoy their own food.

However, while doing some research, I came across this article.  I am now utterly confused.  Do we give him solids now, at 4 months or do we wait?  He is doing well so far but, like most parents, I don't want this decision to negatively affect him later on.  I would be interested to hear from other moms regarding this new research...

ETA: This is the World Health Organization's response.

No comments:

Post a Comment