"Your first breath took ours away"

Monday, January 31, 2011

Meeting New People

I recently joined a local mom's group through meetup.com so that I could try to make some new friends.  In the almost 6 years of living here, I really only got to know people through work.  Now that I am not longer working, it can get pretty lonely.

Anyway, when I joined this group, I was super excited and ready to "get out there".  I had my first meetup last week and only one other mom showed up.  Now don't get me wrong, I had a great time meeting her! She was super sweet and her little girl is absolutely adorable.  We also got along great and plan to get together again.  I was a little disappointed that out of over 400 members, we were the only two that went but it worked out great.

The night before that meetup, I was a little nervous.  Mostly, the normal jitters of meeting someone new.  I was wondering how we would find each other.  Would we have enough to talk about?  Would Weston have a meltdown?  Many things went through my head but I talked myself down and went.  The thing that helped was that we were meeting at our local grocery store which I know very well to grab lunch (it's not your typical grocery store, they have fantastic prepared foods section and seating to eat).

Fast forward to tonight.  I have my second meetup tomorrow.  I'm very nervous about this for a few reasons.  It is at someone's house.  I have never been there and am not 100% sure how to get there.  I don't know anyone that is going to be there.  It is at 11:30 am and I have to get us ready, go to the grocery store and then get there in time while making sure I feed and change Weston.  The final thing that is putting me on edge is that they are forecasting ice here. I am so nervous to drive in unfavorable conditions now that I have Weston.

Part of my anxiety may be coming from the ppd.  I get nervous around new people now and when I am put in unfamiliar situations and places.  I always think of the what-ifs.  What if we hit a patch of black ice and get into an accident?  What if I can't find the place?  What if they don't like me? Ugh.  I hate these feelings and wish I could just be excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment